Search this blog

Are you looking for a pattern? Just type the name of the character and let Google find it for you ;)

Saturday, January 6, 2018

No spend, reuse, create (and a link party)

I am starting the year with good resolutions and intentions!


The Ongoing Project List:
  1. Starry Bright Sky QAL (2018) - first pattern released a week ago... already more than 200 people joined the QAL and few completed the blocks! so excited!!
  2. Art with Disney QAL (2018) - designed the last 3 blocks (cannot share yet)
  3. On Ringo Lake - probably won't do this
  4. Journaling into my new Leuchtturm 1917 - progress as usual!
  5. the 70273 Project - no progress
  6. Twilters! Bee - waiting for this to start again!
  7. Pantone 2018, Ultra Violet mini - no progess
  8. Project Quilting - maybe participating, not sure yet!
--

Come and join my new Block of the Month, FREE, Skill Builder QAL!!

Find all the information at alidatweloqdesigns.blogspot.com

--
This year I set a "No spend" tracker in my journal for sewing, stationary and personal care.
No spend doesn't really really mean no spend... let me explain...

Deodorant falls into the personal care category... I need deodorant :)
When I finish my deodorant, I go to the shop, buy one new... this day will be a no spend day :)
If I go to the shop and buy 5 different deodorants because I want to try different scents, 4 are not necessary and will count as expenses that I will track in my planner!
So basically, if I have at home an equivalent and I buy more, then that's not good :)

Definining "equivalent" is tricky when it comes to fabric or stationary.
... I don't have watercolors, so if I buy them are they necessary? Can I use another media?
... A pattern calls for a specific color... do I really really need that? Can I replace it with something else I have in my stash?

Basically my idea is just to be honest with myself... because the "no spend" effort will have the following impact:

  • financial: well, I don't spend, so I save money, kind of obvious right?
  • practical: using up what I have will automatically declutter my space, and less things around are fewer things to clean
  • emotional: I feel bad about buying things and not using to their best potential, so instead of beating myself up, I can see how good I am with embracing my creativity
  • environmental: all the things we buy come in packages, boxes, plastic, etc. The more we buy, the more we pollute! I am starting to be more mindful of waste, and while I absolutely far from zero-waste, I am just more aware of the problem, and one of the easiest way to tackle it at my current state, is just not create more!

In the spirit of this, I started looking at my scraps and commited to create improv pieced "made fabric" squares that I will use where patterns calls for specific colors.
I started with dark blue because I can use them in my QAL :)

I tried before (and failed) to stitch up my scraps into usable pieces... but now I have a very good plan!

  1. I pick a color plastic bag (blue in this case)
  2. I grab a handful of scraps and I am not allowed to put them back until I sew each piece to something else
  3. If I need to chop pieces off to make things fit, I cannot reuse the left over again that day (that will create coherence across multiple squares, since colors will repeat organically)
  4. I create squares that finish 6.5'' square, which is the size of the small ruler I have and the size of a small cutting mat (so that I don't need a fancy setup up to just make a block when I have 10 minutes of spare time)
  5. I use a very tiny stitch length (1.2) and press all the seams open, so that the finished piece is very flat and not bulky.
I also added a weekly tracker in my planner, and I decided to make 4 blocks a week: small, useful, attainable goals!!

These are my first 4 blocks... small dent in the scrap pile, but they are beautiful!!



--

How about you? What are YOU up to?
Link it here and share it with me!!


2 comments:

  1. I really love your scrap blocks. Great inspiration, thank you. You should sew the Bonnie Hunter MQ, it's so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on the scrap blocks! I started last year with making fabric, and by November, I was done. Believe it or not, I posted the scraps for sale and a lady happily bought them. It's a wonderful feeling to not have those weighing me down, and knowing someone else will use them, somehow. So keep that in mind as an option, if they become overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you!
Please share your thoughts on my projects with me!

UA-37918212-1